Digital Engineering Validation Tool
Our free system model validation tool guides modeling consistency to reduce errors, aid analyses, and improve quality.
SAIC provides the Digital Engineering Validation Tool to the worldwide systems modeling and engineering community.
Intended for system modelers, engineers, and users, this tool improves the quality and functionality of your system models using state-of-the-art validation techniques we developed. We hope that community use of this validation tool will stimulate adoption and discussion of industry best practices.
What is it? Our tool is a set of validation rules and customizations for:
- Dassault Systemes/No Magic's MagicDraw system modeling tool (now version 1.5, with expanded rules and bug fixes).
- IBM Rational Rhapsody system modeling tool (initial release).
Our tool now includes a model-based Style Guide and Example System Model for No Magic. Intended to guide model development where multiple options are available, the tool ensures that a team of modelers always makes the same choice, creating model consistency.
What is the benefit? Use of validation rules in our tool should have an immediate and measurable impact on model quality. Style guides and language semantics are automatically enforced. This enables reviews of system content using analysis tools rather than human reviews, reducing review time from weeks to minutes for large system models. Also, the customizations we have provided allow synchronization between the parts that make a system architecture (structure) and the functions they perform (behavior).
Download the tool below. The download package includes the Rhapsody and MagicDraw profiles that contain the validation suite and customizations, Excel files listing all of the rules for each tool, instructions, introductory videos, and additional summary content files.
General notes and disclaimer before use:
* SAIC does not claim that not being fully conformant to our validation rules means "doing SysML wrong." Our rules attempt to guide consistent model development.
* SysML is the focus of our effort. Do not use UPDM/UAF profiles with our tool.
* No validation rules are based on the model package's structure.
* The validation rules have been tested against a number of models, both public and proprietary, to ensure that they function as intended. If you detect false positives or false negatives, please contact us so that we may correct the validation logic.
* Please see the model itself for licensing terms.
* Any feedback on the tool's usefulness and suggestions for additional rules are welcome.
1. Click on the Download button to download the zip file.
2. Unpack the zip file on your computer. If you need help, please visit this page.
3. Familiarize yourself with the tool:
- Watch the video introductions.
- Review the summary documents.
- Open the desired model(s) on your desktop or install them on an appropriate server for use (see instructions; there are .mdzip versions of the profile specific to server or local use. The .rpy profile can be in either context).
4. If you have any problems with the tool, please contact us.