Digital Engineering Validation Tool
Digital engineering--founded in speed, rigor, and consistency--results in digital transformation.
SAIC provides the Digital Engineering Validation Tool to the worldwide systems modeling and engineering community.
Intended for system modelers, engineers, and users, this tool improves the quality and functionality of your system models using state-of-the-art validation techniques we developed. We hope that community use of this validation tool will stimulate adoption and discussion of industry best practices.
What is it? Our tool is a set of validation rules and customizations for Dassault Systemes/No Magic's MagicDraw system modeling tool. Intended to guide model development where multiple options are available, the tool ensures that a team of modelers always makes the same choice, and it creates model consistency.
What is the benefit? Use of validation rules in our tool should have an immediate and measurable impact on model quality. Style guides and language semantics are automatically enforced. This enables reviews of system content using analysis tools compared with human reviews, reducing review time from weeks to minutes for large system models. Also, the customizations we have provided allow synchronization between the parts that make a system architecture and the functions they perform.
Download the tool below. The download package includes two native MDZIP files containing the rules and customizations, along with an Excel file listing all of the rules, introductory videos, and additional summary content files.
General notes and disclaimer before use:
* SAIC does not claim that not being fully conformant to our validation rules means "doing SysML wrong." Our rules attempt to guide consistent model development.
* Cameo Enterprise Architecture (MagicDraw) and SysML are the focus of our effort. Do not use UPDM/UAF profiles with our model.
* No validation rules are based on the model package's structure.
* The validation rules have been tested against a number of models, both public and proprietary, to ensure that they function as intended. If you detect false positives or false negatives, please contact us so that we may correct the validation logic.
* Please see the model itself for licensing terms. We will release example models, videos, and other material, as we continue our effort.
* Any feedback on the tool's usefulness and suggestions for additional rules are welcome.
1. Click on the Download the Tool button to download the zip file.
2. Unpack the zip file on your computer. If you need help, please visit this page.
3. Familiarize yourself with the tool:
- Watch the video introduction and videos on linking flows and flow sets, respectively.
- Review the summary documents.
- Run the ZIP file -- MDZIP is for the modeling tool (local and server versions).
4. If you have any problems with the tool, please contact us.